I know that they are in there, rekindling their love affair. Did it ever stop? I know that they are in there, laughing at me and dreaming of when they will be together again.
I need to go inside and catch them in the act, but when? I can’t enter while I am being watched. If only the boys would get distracted with work, a game, a girl, another boat, a walk.
But then, she is also there, sitting in judgment of my every move. She chastises me for my curiosity, terrorizes me with the thoughts of how this act will define me, what I will find, and what I will need to do if its true. And so I sit, not making a move, but wondering, obsessing.
I try to distract myself with books, cleaning, sleeping. But still, the lovers are always there, waiting to be found. Calling to me with their deception. I wonder if it will end if I stop thinking about it. If I act as though nothing is happening, will I take away the fuel for their affair? If I act as if our relationship is good, will that make it so? Is it better not to know? Am I risking my comfort?
But I keep cherishing the moment that I will enter and find out the truth. The ‘aha, I’ve caught you’ moment. The moment that I can prove what I have known all along and say ‘see, I told you so’. The moment that I can confirm that our love has been a sham. I look at the portal again, yearning with desire. Time has come to a standstill.
I can hear the boys upstairs talking and I am wishing them away, but they still go on. I have become paralyzed. I have ceased doing daily chores, getting out and enjoying life, smiling, bathing. I am pushing him into her arms.
He holds me, fondles me, tells me he loves me, but I know it’s a lie, and I know what the truth is. I just have to confirm it.
And then the moment comes. I am alone and can now enter. But am I still being watched? And what if one of the boys come back and finds that I have entered? Will I cause my own undoing by the act of entering? Will I find out that I was wrong and be left only with the shame of my actions? And what if I am right? So I walk away while still drawn by the lover’s beckoning.
The moment passes. The boys have returned. I rise to take a shower.
——————————————————————————————————Today’s Daily Prompt from WordPress is about awakening the green-eyed monster within. You can find other great posts that were created as a result of this prompt here:
- The Match (Part 4) Rusty’s Destination | The Jittery Goat
- Self-Defeating Beliefs
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | Bob’s Blog-O-Rama
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | MedinaQue
- DP Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: Green Eyed Lady | Purplesus’ Blog
- Dirty Envy | In the Present
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady « cognitive reflection
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Green-Eyed Lady | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: Green-eyed Lady | imagination
- Green-Eyed Lady | God Through My Eyes
- Evil Queens & coffee beans
- Daily Prompt: Jealousy | A Day In The Life
- Reciprocal | The River Mom
- of wickedness | Anawnimiss
- Wake Up O’ Sleeping Stone | The Write Web
- Daily prompt: Green-eyed monster | Go, See, Live
- I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Aces « Averil Dean
- NaPoWriMo Day 4: “Smitten” | arakawa fiction
- Bass Speaker | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | A Note From Jenn
- Jealousy: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Leave Me Free | Flowers and Breezes
- From Time To Time | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- How do they do it? | A mom’s blog
- Daily Prompt: Green Eyed Lady | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Nonsense | Life is great
- Green All Over | meanderedwanderings
- i’m just a jealous guy | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- The Green-Eyed Monster | Elementary Verse
- Green-Eyed Monster | Elementary Verse
- Daily prompt 🙂 Green eyed Lady | myjourneyeveryday
- Daily Prompt from WordPress: HEY-O Jealousy – That’s My Answer
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | My Atheist Blog
- Daily Prompt – Green-Eyed Lady | hometogo232
- If I Have to Choose One Thing that Makes me Jealous | wisskko’s blog
- I’m Jealous of Chris Potter’s Coffee Mates
- The Difference Between Cats and Humans is … Sleep | My Two Cats
- #NaPoWriMo2014 “As long as I have words” Day 4 | The Bohemian Rock Star’s “Untitled Project”
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady- The Path to Freedom and Fear | Journeyman
- Daily Prompt: Being Jealous! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Me Jealous? Sadly, Yes. | Emotional Fitness
- Daily Prompt: My eyes turn green when I see him with her. | Ipso • facto
- With wild cat designs comes love, passion and jealousy !! | The Seminary of Praying Mantis
- Sometimes my eyes are just a little more green than usual | One Educator’s Life
- I Don’t Always Get Jealous……. | djgarcia94
- I Need To Talk To The Person In Charge Of Changing Humans Into Dogs | meg lago
- Green eyed lady | Boundaries and Edges
- NaPoWriMo Day 4 Poem ~~ Jealousy | To Breathe is to Write
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | Diary of Dennis
- Haves vs Have Nots | Emovere
- Daily Prompt: Green-Eyed Lady | Ramblings of A Nonsensical Nerd
- Caught in the Act! | LenzExperiments
- Daily Prompt: Green-eyed lady | This is who I am…
- Green Eyed Lady | Destino
- Skinny Selfies | vic briggs
- The Game | La Gatita Oscura
- The Emperor’s new clothes. | Trucker Turning Write
- A Big One | Overcoming Bloglessness
- Green-Eyed Lady | c21stguinevere
- Wise Words – Steve Jobs | The Salmon Yatra
- Envy | Writing on the Spot
The painting of the green-eyed monster in this post was created by a very talented street artist and can be found in Honolulu, Hawaii on Kalakaua Avenue near Fern.1 Thumbs Up!